Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Another Ride

     Today I did another of my Road to Recovery Rides for the American Cancer Society.  I was actually driving a patient for whom I've already driven, so the routine was familiar.  While on the way to his treatment we began with the typical small talk about the storm, somehow we ended up talking more about his cancer and the doctor's prognosis that he has about a 15% chance of surviving for 5 years.  He wasn't resigned to this being a certainty, but it definitely affected his outlook on life.  
     After his treatment was over, we got on the topic of books and movies.  He is remarkably well read and he knows every movie ever made!  I think he was disappointed when we reached his home as he could have talked forever.  I had the feeling that having someone to talk with and someone who will listen was just as important as having someone to drive him.  I suppose that's often the case for many people, particularly as they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment