Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, October 15, 2012

Another Ride

     This afternoon I did another one of my "cancer rides."  This is what I call the times that I volunteer, through the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery Program, to help a cancer patient by getting them to and from their doctor's appointment.  As is usually the case, I'm given the patient's name, phone number, address, and the time and place of the appointment.  I then call the patient to let him/her know who I am and to arrange the details.  
     Today, I picked up an elderly gentleman who was in the second week of a 4-6 week daily regimen of radiation.  Even for those who have strong family support, arranging for daily rides for 6 weeks can be daunting.  That's why this program is so vital for people.  Anyway, he was quite talkative and I learned all about his family, the work he did before retirement, his military service, and how he came to buy his 130-year old house - and this was just on the ride to the appointment!  I enjoyed his company though, and I know how much he appreciated the assistance.  I'm actually scheduled to drive him four more times over the coming weeks, so I'll have a further chance to get to know him better.  
     While I try to use this blog for my own reflections and not to solicit action on any one else's part, I will say that this is a truly important program and if you can spare a little time during your week, I'd encourage you to call your local chapter of the American Cancer Society and ask about volunteering for the Road to Recovery effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment