Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, November 1, 2012

Giving Blood

     For the past 6 or 7 years I've been a pretty regular blood donor through the American Red Cross.  At my old company, we used to hold blood drives right in our office every 8 weeks, so it was pretty easy and convenient to donate.  Though I retired from there 2 years ago, I still usually make it back for their blood drives.  Unfortunately, the last blood drive, scheduled for late September or early October was cancelled at the last minute, so I haven't given blood in a few months.  Today I went on line and searched for a local blood drive.  I found one being held at a Knights of Columbus hall a few towns over, so I was able to stop in and donate this afternoon.
     Giving blood is one of those things that I really enjoy doing.  To be honest, I'm embarrassed to admit how many years I didn't give blood, and for no legitimate reason.  I simply didn't do it.  Once I began, and I realized just how easy it is, and also realized just how important it is as well, I became committed to regular donations.  While I understand that some people have health reasons that prevent them from being regular donors, there's no reason most of us shouldn't be giving blood as close to every 8 weeks as possible.  It's desperately needed, it's free, it doesn't take a long time, it's painless, and our bodies replace what we've donated anyway.  Count me in for this one any chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment