Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, October 21, 2012

Get Me to the Church On Time

     I went to the First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa with Ben this morning.  For most people, that wouldn't be a big deal.  For me, it's a little different.  Without going into the long version of the story here, let me just say that I was raised Jewish and that until college, Ben professed to no religion.  However, in his freshman year he became a Christian and his faith now is a central part of his life.  
     While he and I remain very close, I don't share his spiritual faith.  Nonetheless, I support him 100% in pursuing what he believes.  Part of that support is taking a genuine interest in what he's doing and, on occasion (like when I'm visiting him), going to church with him.  
     Over the past couple of years I've come to more fully understand and appreciate that supporting our children doesn't mean supporting them only when they do things we agree with or when they make the same decisions we would make or we'd want them to make.  It means encouraging them to follow their own path with passion - wherever that may lead them (assuming it's not dangerous or harmful, of course!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment