Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Writing to Kigonya

     Awhile ago I wrote about my decision to sponsor a child in Uganda through Compassion International.  My child's name is Kigonya John, and he's 8 years old.  I recently received a letter from him (they translate our letters for each other), along with a few pictures that he drew.  It's hard to fathom just how different his life is from that of an 8 year old growing up in the US.  Tonight I wrote back to him, answering his questions, telling him more about us, and also sharing a picture of my family.
     In some ways, it seems a strange juxtaposition that I have 2 very different pen pals.  One was a 25 year old US soldier in Afghanistan who is now home and will soon be visiting me.  The other is this 8 year old Ugandan boy living in a tiny, remote village in Africa.  I wonder if I'll someday have the chance to meet Kigonya, much like my son Ben met his sponsored child in Rwanda last year (see his blogpost about that here).

No comments:

Post a Comment