Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Late Night Drive

     Last night as I was getting ready for bed, preparing to rise at 4 am for a long run before heading to the airport on a trip, the phone rang.  It was a neighbor calling to ask a favor.  It seems they had driven their family to a South Jersey venue for a function and their car battery went dead.  Though they had called AAA for assistance, they needed to make it home to drop off a friend of their daughter's.  "Could you possibly come pick them up?", they wondered.  Though I sure could have used the sleep, I was on my way in a matter of minutes.
     People talk about how "in the old days" neighbors were always there for each other.  I'm not one to think that the old days were always better.  I suspect that many neighbors are just as willing to help today as they were in the past - if we're willing to ask.  I'm glad my neighbors felt comfortable enough to call me.  And I wasn't hesitant to step up and deliver for them.  I'm sure they'd do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment