Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, October 18, 2012

Revisiting Jeffrey

     Back in the spring, I wrote about an encounter I had with a wonderful man named Jeff who worked as a restroom attendant in the Charlotte airport.  He was one of the most enthusiastic people I had ever met and I spent some time chatting with him and getting to know him.  While I was flying through Charlotte today, I had the good fortune of seeing him again!
     Not surprisingly, he was just as enthusiastic (since that's just how he "does life.").  I spent some more time getting to know him and got his phone number and permission to call him for a deeper interview.  I'm fascinated by people like Jeff and want to learn more about what makes him tick.  I gave him a ridiculous tip, thanked him, and promised that I would call him later next week.
     I'm beginning to see people like Jeff in various places in my travels and am interested in learning more about them.  In fact, when I was leaving Philadelphia,, there was a TSA woman who was unreal.  She was funny, enthusiastic, high-energy, and she was entertaining the crowd waiting in the endless security lines.  She clearly had the same "something" that Jeff had.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to talk with her as I needed to get through security quickly to catch my flight.  Hopefully, I can find her another time and interview her as well.
     People like Jeff and the TSA woman I mention are inspiring examples of the power of the choice we each have regarding the attitude we have as we go through each day.  And I really do believe it's a simple choice that some make while most don't.  I'm curious to try to discover what causes some to understand and make that choice where others don't.  More to come on that topic as I learn more . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment