Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, October 26, 2012

Providing Some Feedback

     From time to time I find myself in a situation where I notice something exceptional about someone but fail to mention it to them or acknowledge my observation.  I'm not sure why that is except that perhaps it can feel awkward, depending on how well I know them.  Today, I was with someone who I felt like I wanted to acknowledge, but didn't have the opportunity to do so in a personal way.  When I got home, though, I took the time to send this person an e-mail with what I had wanted to say, and I did so with a good amount of detail.
     This is an area in which I'd like to improve.  As I think about that, it occurs to me that there are really two parts to that improvement.  One part is tuning up my awareness so that I'm better at noticing opportunities to provide meaningful feedback or acknowledgment.  The other part is acting on it.  I'll work on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment