Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Passengers Helping Each Other

     As I write this, I just got home from Chicago after a long flight delay due to some unknown mechanical issues with the plane's computer system. (I'll keep this pretty short so I can get to bed!).  After I took my seat on the plane, a woman who was seated several rows in front of me came down the aisle looking for a place to put her carry-on luggage.  There was an open overhead bin across from my aisle but I could see that her bag was pretty heavy and difficult for her to handle, so I offered my assistance and got the bag stowed for her.  Knowing that she was going to face the same issue when we landed (and worse, she'd have to go against the "flow of traffic" to get back to her bag), I was quick to retrieve it and bring it to her when we landed.
     In my travels, I notice that more often than not, many passengers will go out of their way to assist other passengers.  I think that when we're traveling, people have an increased sense of community in that we're all going through a shared experience.  I suspect this causes people to be more helpful to each other than you might normally see.  That's my read on it anyway.  Regardless of its cause, it's of course great to see and is a further reminder that people really are generally good.

No comments:

Post a Comment