Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, October 25, 2012

Still Writing

     I heard from my adopted soldier just yesterday that he was headed to the Philly airport (from Ft. Dix) where he and others in his unit would each be catching flights to their respective homes.  His tour of duty is now over and he'll be a civilian once again.  In fact, he's getting married this December.  While the commitment I entered into when I signed up through the Soldiers' Angels website to adopt a soldier, was that I would write once each week (and send a care package once each month) until the end of the soldier's overseas tour, I see no reason to stop writing completely, so I sent another letter (e-mail) tonight.
     I've mentioned before that we've become good friends over this past year of correspondence and I'll soon be meeting him personally (when he comes to the Eagles' game with me in 2 weeks).  I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him and expect our friendship to only continue to grow.  Of course he's thankfully again surrounded by family and friends and is no longer far from home and in harm's way.  Nevertheless, beyond the original "need", I find that good friendships add such a rich and wonderful dimension to our lives.  I feel enriched by knowing him and hope that he has benefitted from me as well.  I look forward to seeing that continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment