Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Helping A Fellow Traveler

     I'm making my way home from Atlanta as I write this, sitting in the airport while my "standby" flight is delayed due to mechanical difficulties, hoping my "regular" flight isn't similarly delayed.  After I went through security and boarded the underground train that takes passengers to the various terminals, a woman asked me where she could pick up a shuttle bus to local hotels.  She was actually heading in the wrong direction!  Thankfully I've been here enough to know my way around pretty well and I was able to explain to her how to get to her destination.  I double-checked with her twice to make sure she understand my instructions before I left her to go on her way.  Had I known my flight would be delayed (meaning I had more time), I would have actually accompanied her to be sure she got to the right place.
     Interestingly, in the gate area for the delayed flight, many people were understandably concerned about missing connections.  The gate agents were working hard to accommodate everyone and they were even requesting people who were seated in the front of the plane whose final destination was Philly, to switch seats with people in the back of the plane who had connections so that they could more quickly get off the plane to rush to their next gates.  It was great to see how many people were volunteering to do so.  Further evidence that people are nicer than is commonly reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment