Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, October 28, 2012

Kindness and Cruelty

     A couple of weeks ago I wrote a post that I called "Kindness or Cruelty?".  It was about inviting a friend to join me for an Eagles home game.  Since we're both big Eagles' fans, and the team lost a heartbreaker, it's hard to say whether I was doing my friend a kindness or providing him with cruelty.  I call today's post "Kindness and Cruelty" for somewhat similar reasons.
     I invited a good friend from Atlanta (and his wife) up for the weekend for us to enjoy the time together and for he and I to go to the Eagles' game against the Falcons.  It was definitely a kindness for him as he got to enjoy seeing his hometown team dominate the pathetic Eagles.  For me, it was cruelty, as the Eagles sink further and further into the dumps.
     To be truthful, it didn't actually bother me as much as it normally does when they play this poorly.  This is partly because my expectations are so much lower, but also because I was able to enjoy spending time with a good friend.  Obviously, that's ultimately what it's about so much more than who wins and loses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment