Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, October 20, 2012

Some Random Help

     As Ben and I were returning from dinner tonight and bringing me back to my hotel in Tuscaloosa, we were about to walk inside when when we saw three women transferring a load of what appeared to be leftover food and dishes from a cart to their cars.  My guess is that they had celebrated some type of event - perhaps a baby shower, a birthday, or maybe even a wedding rehearsal dinner.  Anyway, they had to make many trips to get their items from the cart to their cars.  Seeing this, I jumped in and offered to help.  It only took a few minutes, but I was able to carry a number of items for them to make the process faster and easier.
     After I was done and we headed inside the hotel and up to my room, I noted to Ben that this is the kind of small thing that I would never have done prior to this year.  I didn't know the people and they didn't ask for my help.  It certainly wouldn't have been rude or inappropriate to simply walk past them, minding my own business.  But I'm always on the lookout for these opportunities this year.  And of course, that's part of why I set up this challenge for myself almost 10 months ago.  By forcing myself to find something kind to do each day, it makes me notice (and act upon) opportunities I simply wouldn't have noticed in the past.  And that's a good thing . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment