Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, December 8, 2012

What a Night!

     Well, tonight was a night that I wrote about several months ago.  It was the wedding for my adopted soldier Logan and his new wife Samantha.  For those who may not know the beginning of this story, back in January I "adopted" a soldier in Afghanistan through a program called Soldiers' Angels.  As part of that program, I committed to write to my soldier at least once each week throughout his deployment and to send him a care package at least once each month.  Over the course of the year, we went from strangers getting to know each other to great friends.  
     Logan is from Kentucky and we both share a love of sports, among many other things.  He returned home at the end of October and last month I flew him to Philadelphia to attend an Eagles game with me (of course they lost!).  He also invited Catherine and me to his upcoming wedding.
     We flew into Louisville, Kentucky this morning and drove to Georgetown, which is near Lexington.  The wedding was held this evening at an old convent that's been converted to a beautiful function facility.  Not only did we get to witness Logan and Samantha's wedding, but we got to know much of his family.  In fact, his father was gracious enough to invite us to sit with the family  during dinner.  While I'm certainly no expert on weddings, one of the things I appreciated about this one was it felt like the emphasis was more on the new marriage than it was on the "production."  It was refreshing to see that.
     Who would have ever guessed back in January that I would get to know this "pen pal" well enough to become good friends and 11 months later I'd be hanging out with his family at his wedding?!  Pretty amazing . . . and wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment