Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, December 16, 2012

Getting Smarter While Feeding the Hungry

     I never cease to be amazed by the number of websites that are dedicated to helping make the world a better place in some way.  This afternoon I was perusing several different ones before I spent some time on one of my old favorites, Freerice.com.  Regular readers of this blog will be familiar with this site as I've mentioned it several times throughout the past year.  For those less familiar, it's a site where you test your knowledge on a variety of subjects (vocabulary, grammar, math, geography, chemistry, etc.) by answering a series of questions.  For each correct response you provide, 10 grams of rice is donated to the United Nations World Food Program.  The money comes from sponsors who advertise on the site.  Pretty simple - exercise your brain and help feed the hungry.
     I spent time today mostly doing math and English questions.  It didn't take long for me to be able to donate 2000 grains of rice.  There really are almost unlimited ways all of us can help each other, and many of them can be done right from your own home/computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment