Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, December 27, 2012

Move the Garbage!

     Today was one of those cold, windy days where lots of stuff has a tendency to blow around into places it's not wanted or intended (i.e., shopping carts, garbage cans, papers, etc.).  As I was driving home from the movies this afternoon, I noticed a plastic garbage bag sitting in the middle of the opposite lane.  In fact, cars had to swerve a bit to avoid it.  So I pulled over to the curb, went across the street, and moved the garbage bag back to the curb behind a bunch of other bags to protect it from the wind and keep it from blowing back into the road.
     This is one of those small things I definitely would not have done a year ago.  Like most other people, I would have just assumed that someone else would take care of it.  It's amazing how many things fall into that category.  Things we figure someone else will take care of.  But if everyone assumes someone else will do it, there's no one left to actually do it!
     One thing I've tried to do this year is to be more action oriented.  By that I mean simply that when I see something that needs to be done, I try to just do it rather than waiting for someone else.  Hopefully it's becoming enough of a habit to carry over into the future when I'm not thinking about my blog each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment