Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Don't Pass It By

     As I was pulling into my neighborhood on my way home from the airport this evening, I noticed that people had put their garbage cans at the curb in anticipation of a trash pickup day tomorrow.  However, there was one house whose garbage can must have somehow blown from the curb toward the middle of the road.  Seeing this, I pulled over, got out, and moved it back to its original location, safely by their driveway.  Then I headed the rest of the way home.
     For me, this is one of those small acts that fits in a category of "things we assume someone else will take care of."  How often do we pass a piece of trash on the sidewalk or a branch in the road and just figure it must be someone else's job to handle that?  This year, I've tried to be better about noticing those situations and acting upon them, rather than always leaving it for others.

1 comment: