Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Different Kind of Wedding Favor

     Last night I wrote about what a thrill it was to attend the wedding of my adopted soldier, Logan, in Georgetown, Kentucky.  Well, something else happened at the wedding which was also very exciting.  It was a kindness act that I started at the wedding, and was able to complete (sort of) this evening.  Let me explain.
     As strange as it may be, Logan had mentioned to me when he was here that his godmother was a crazy, insane Eagles' fan, going back to the days of Randall Cunningham (1980's).  I'm not sure how or why that happened since she's in Kentucky and didn't grow up or live in the Philly area at any time.  Regardless, she's a huge fan, and she was quite jealous that Logan got to attend a game with me while she's never seen them play.
     At the wedding last night, he made a point of introducing me to her and we talked Eagles for a bit.  That got me thinking.  Later in the evening I approached her and asked if she would like to have my tickets for the last home game of the season, December 23rd against the Redskins.  It didn't take her more than about 2 seconds to say she'd love to.  No checking her schedule, no checking with anyone else.  She was in!
     When I got home today, I went to my Eagles account where I was actually able to have my tickets forwarded to her by e-mail.  When I called her to be sure I had all her contact information correct, she still couldn't believe it.  She told me that she'd been telling everyone she knows that she's going to see the Eagles play!
     I really love these types of situations where I can create an experience for someone that might not otherwise be possible.  It's something they'll always remember, and that's pretty cool.
     And speaking of memorable experiences, the woman I wrote about last month who I'm helping to send on her first plane ride along with her mother (to Vegas), embarked on her trip today.  I'm eager to hear and share her story as it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment