Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Some Airline Kindness

     I was on yet another airplane today, heading from Tampa to DC when several simple opportunities to show kindness presented themselves.  I was in the first row, which means that all carry-on items have to be stowed in the overhead bins since there's no seat in front of you under which to put them.  As I sat down in my aisle seat, I realized that the woman sitting next to me had several items that were going to need to be stowed and would likely be difficult for her to manage.  I offered to take care of them for her, which I did, and then also got them for her after we landed.
     As we were nearing landing, the flight attendant retrieved coats for people who had hung them earlier.  The man across the aisle from me was an elderly man wearing a business suit.  He was a bit frail and moved pretty slowly.  Watching him trying to get his arms in the sleeves of his sport jacket with some difficulty, I jumped up and held the jacket for him to make it easier.  I also retrieved his bag as well.
     As usual, I continued to look for every opportunity to use people's names.  This simply means taking the extra few seconds to read people's name tags, and then specifically addressing them by their first name.  
     These are all "little" things, but as I've noted before, most of kindness is just that.  Little things we can do to help each other out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment