Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Surprise at Wegmans?

     I was heading to Wegmans this evening to pick up a few items that we needed and I was in the mood to do a little surprise.  Before I left home I took out a piece of paper, an envelope, and a McDonald's gift card.  On the note, I wrote "Enjoy this gift from a stranger!  Pay it forward."  Then I put the note and the card in the envelope.  On the outside of the envelope I wrote, "Please open and enjoy."
     As I entered Wegmans, I grabbed one of the handheld blue baskets that you use when you don't have too many items.  Then I surreptitiously took the envelope out of my pocket and put it in the next basket that was on the stack.  I stuck around the general area for a little bit, hoping to get a glimpse of whoever picked up the basket, curious to see what their reaction would be; but after about 5 minutes I went ahead and took care of the shopping I needed to do.
     After I paid for my items, I decided to go out the same door that I had entered so that I could check to see if the envelope had been taken.  Sure enough, it had!  I would have loved to watch how it transpired, just for my own curiosity.  Oh well, I'll have to be satisfied in the knowledge that someone got a nice surprise, and hope that they followed my invitation to pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment