Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, December 14, 2012

A Random Surprise in the Mail

     Today I felt like doing one of those really "random" type acts of kindness that will undoubtedly leave its recipient scratching his/her head.  Here's what I did:
     I typed out a note on an 8.5 x 11 paper that said, "Please enjoy this Starbucks gift card as an offering from a random stranger wishing you a wonderful day.  Now . . . what can you do today to make someone else's day just a little bit brighter?"  Beneath that message, I actually printed a copy of a big smiley face, and then added, "Pass on the spirit of kindness."
     Then I took my note and stuffed it into a plain white mailing envelope together with a gift card, and addressed it to "Resident" at a random address I picked in a nearby town.  I'll have it out in tomorrow morning's mail.
     How I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" when they open the envelope and read the note.  I think it's likely they'll have a better day than they were having before reading it and that they'll do something to make someone else's day better, too.  Hopefully, they'll tell their friends and family about this crazy thing that happened to them, and as a result, others will be inspired to do their own acts of kindness as well.  Obviously, my hope is that my small act initiated a wave of kindness that will spread to who knows where?  And once again, I'll likely never know for sure, but will have to simply enjoy the satisfaction in knowing that I at least made someone smile and that I increased the likelihood that more smiles may ensue.

No comments:

Post a Comment