Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Note of Well Wishes

     I received an e-mail this evening from a friend who told me about an unfortunate home mishap in which his wife suffered a pretty serious leg injury, which has since required some fairly significant surgery.  As a result of the surgery and the necessary immobilization of her leg, she's not able to move around much and is in need of quite a bit of assistance.  It will undoubtedly be a long and difficult road back to full health.
     Upon hearing the news, I immediately wrote out a personal note for her to let her know she was in my thoughts and to offer any assistance that I could.  I also called my friend and offered to bring over dinner one night as I'm sure he's got to be tired of handling everything on his own.  He very much appreciated my offer, though he didn't immediately take me up on it.  I'll continue to see if there are other ways I can be of help.
     I remember many years ago my wife had some surgery on both her feet which similarly meant a period of time in which her mobility was pretty limited. It was pretty amazing the way friends and neighbors turned out to provide meals for our family.  I think we ended up with something like 30-40 consecutive days in which meals were delivered!  I also remember that it would have been difficult to ask for help, but when it was all organized by someone else, it did make a big difference.  I'll have to see what I can do in this regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment