Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Product Plug

     OK, this is going to be a little bit of a "product plug" as well as a kindness story. Recently I was reading a review on one of the running websites that I check regularly.  It was a for a product called ROLL Recovery.  It's basically a tool like a foam roller or rolling stick that helps to knead muscles after a workout to help  flush out the muscles and improve circulation, thus speeding up the recovery process.  This product, however, has a unique design that makes it work even better than previous tools.  For those of us who work out pretty hard, helping speed the recovery process is pretty important, as is trying to stay healthy.  
     Anyway, there were a number of elite runners who were raving about the ROLL Recovery, so I figured I'd give it a try.  But rather than buy 1, I bought 2 of them because I figured my brother, who works out like a crazy man, would probably appreciate using one as well.  I received mine last week and have been using it daily.  This afternoon, I delivered it to my brother who was eager to try it.
     It seems to me that generosity, while slightly different from kindness, has a pretty darn close link to it.  I think of generosity as the willingness to share what you have with others.  There are a few people I know who are tremendously generous.  They're amazingly quick to offer whatever they have to others.  While generosity unquestionably begins with a state of mind - a genuine desire to share or to give, I've noticed that there are some things we can do to facilitate generosity.  For example, a good friend of mine has a bookshelf on which he keeps multiple copies of many of his favorite books.  This makes it really easy for him to give them away when the situation arises.  Thinking to order 2 ROLL Recovery devices made it easier for me to give one to my brother without a second thought.
     As this year wraps up and I think about 2013, generosity is something I'd like to work on.  I may not choose as ambitious a project as this one has been, but I'll be working on it nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment