Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Helping Other Passengers

     Well tonight I was back on the road again, this time flying to Ft. Lauderdale for one day of work.  As I sat down in my seat, I noticed that the man across the aisle from me looked frail.  When the flight attendant had to re-seat him because he was in the wrong spot, I jumped up to get his things from the overhead bin (including his cane) and helped him get situated.  
     Minutes later, a woman came to sit in the seat he had just vacated.  She was beginning to struggle with a heavy bag and I offered to lift it for her and get it into the overhead bin.  I also got it down for her after we landed.
     While sometimes it's fun to do things that really catch people off guard like giving flowers to a stranger or anonymously buying someone a dessert, small things like helping other passengers without being asked are the kinds of daily gestures that really comprise a life of kindness.  What I've come to see this year is that it's really about increasing our awareness of the opportunity to help those around us, and then, of course, acting upon those opportunities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment