Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Visiting an Old Friend

     I was traveling to Williamsburg today to pick up my daughter Hannah from William & Mary and I used it as yet another opportunity to visit an old friend.  As it turns out, the man who was the principal of my high school (many years ago!) retired to Williamsburg back in the 80's.  Though he has family around the country that he visits, he lives here alone.  A year ago I had the opportunity to make contact with him when I was in town.  Since then, whenever I'm in Williamsburg I try to reach out and spend some time with him.
     This afternoon, I arranged to stop by his house and we enjoyed a few hours of great conversation.  As I've often said, it takes extra effort to make that phone call to visit someone versus just sticking to our own routines.  My friend, the principal, really appreciates that I do make that effort to reach out to him.  In fact, we were talking about that today.  He was commenting on the fact that so many people are hesitant to make that phone call for fear that their potential visit might be an imposition; and yet, paradoxically, most of us would be disappointed if we learned that a friend was in the area and didn't call us.
     I've developed, maintained, and nurtured many great relationships because I do make that effort.  Today was yet another reminder of just how much this is valued by people.

No comments:

Post a Comment