Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Kindness At the Airport

      This one will take a little background explanation.  Fresh bagels are among my most favorite foods in the world, and my favorite bagels are from Bruegger’s.  Unfortunately, most Bruegger’s on the East Coast closed down a number of years ago, so whenever I’m in a part of the country where I can get them, I take advantage of it.  Well, in the Pittsburgh airport, they actually have a Bruegger’s and it was right across from the gate for my flight home today!
     As I walked up to the counter to order a bagel sandwich for lunch, the woman behind the counter asked how I was.  When I said, “awesome” she told me that she was “awesomer!”  She then proceeded to dialogue with me about exactly how I wanted my sandwich and she made several suggestions/recommendations.  Seeing the genuine pride and care with which she went about making my sandwich, I asked her if she liked Starbucks.  When she said that she did, I gave her one of my Starbucks gift cards.  Surprised, she asked if I was one of those “Starbucks company people”, assuming I was somehow tasked with spreading Starbucks cards.  Instead, I answered that I was just a guy who appreciated her taking such good care of me.  She was so pleased and touched.  Typical of people who are focused on excellence, she told me that I didn’t have to do that because it was her pleasure to help me. 
     What a great exchange this was.  My day was improved by interacting with her, and her day was improved by a surprise gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment