Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Letter Writing Time

     Today was my day to write to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan.  As you may recall, one of the commitments I made as a part of the adopted soldier program is to write a least one letter (or e-mail) every single week.  I usually try to do this on Wednesdays, just so that there is a routine to it.
     As I've been doing this for more than 7 months now, I can readily see why it's important that the program establish expected guidelines/commitments.  Without this, it would be very easy to "drift" into writing less and less frequently.  Like anything else, having some structure, even in the form of a commitment, helps to keep it going.  And, of course, the benefits of keeping it going, for both me and the soldier are significant.
     On an even broader scale, it's why I made the commitment this year to do an act of kindness every day.  Without that commitment, it would be easy to let things slide; but my determination to keep my commitment won't allow that.  And as a result, I get to experience the learning and growth that come with doing 366 days of kindness.  Commitment is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment