Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, August 5, 2012

Helping Injured Soldiers

     As I was flying from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh this evening, I started to flip through the US Air magazine.  On the next to last page was an article that caught my attention.  There was a picture of an American soldier, sitting in a wheelchair, having lost his legs as the result of an IED explosion.  The article was called Helping Heroes and was about how you can donate US Air frequent flier miles to any of 5 different organizations, one of which - Fisher House - was being featured in the article.
    Fisher House, I learned, is an incredible organization that helps the families of injured soldiers to visit them wherever they may be rehabbing or being treated.  Donated frequent flier miles are used to help fly these family members around the country so that they can be with their loved ones and support them through their recovery.  This seemed like a pretty darn good way to support our troops.
     When I finally got to my hotel this evening, I went on line to see how I could donate some miles.  It was pretty easy.  Just log into your US Airways account (I'm sure all airlines have similar programs) and then you can choose how many miles you want to donate and to whom.  Though all the organizations seemed absolutely worthy, I chose to donate some of my miles to Fisher House.  
     There are so many different ways we can all support our troops.  I was glad to discover (and act upon) yet another way.









No comments:

Post a Comment