Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, August 17, 2012

Paying It Forward With Yogurt

     I spent a beautiful afternoon in the Cleveland area on Thursday.  I had completed my morning talk and had a little time before my next commitment so I was looking for somewhere to "hang" for a little while and enjoy the sunshine.  Discovering a fabulous "Main Street style" shopping area, I wandered  in and out of shops, sat on some benches, and eventually found myself at a frozen yogurt place called Menchies.  After getting myself a nice treat, I bought a $5 gift card and decided to look for someone to give it to.
     It's always interesting to try to pick someone to surprise with a gift.  I usually try to find someone who is alone since it would feel weird to give something to one person, but not the others with whom they may be traveling. I also try to pick someone who might be surprised, but not put off by my offer.  
     After a little while of wandering, I saw a woman sitting on a bench by herself.  I walked up to her and explained that I had a gift card for Menchies and I asked her if she'd like to have it.  Looking at me with some confusion, she was speechless at first, but then said, ". . . Really??".  I responded that my only condition was that she do something nice for someone else, and I asked her if she would do that.  When she said, "Definitely", I gave her the card and wished her a great day.
     The rest of the afternoon, I had such a strong sense of how good (my) life is.  It was a beautiful day, the sun was out, I was in a gorgeous place, I had just spread some kindness with a  "pay it forward" component, and I was getting ready to spend the evening with some great friends.  No worries for me.  It doesn't get much better . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment