Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Switching It Up

     So far this year I've bought flowers a number of times and given them to all kinds of strangers - people I met in a parking lot, people working in an office, people in nursing homes, and people in hospitals, to name just a few.  I've also focused most of my acts of kindness, by design, on those outside of my family and immediate circle of friends.  Today I decided it was time to switch that up a bit and bring it closer to home - so I bought flowers for my wife.
     We all know how easy it is to take those closest to us for granted at times, and I'm no better than anyone else in that regard.  In some respects, I suppose, the stronger our home life is, the easier it is to focus our efforts outward.  And yet, in doing so, while we're able to make great contributions to others, we also run the risk of not giving enough attention to those we love and  are with every day.  Today was a day to at least put a small dent in reversing that trend.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment