Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, August 13, 2012

Flowers With A Twist

     It's been awhile since I've given flowers to a stranger so I thought today might be a good day for that.  To mix it up, I did something slightly different this time, and I also had an interesting exchange with someone.  Here's what happened:
     I went to Wegmans where I often go for fresh flowers, and I picked out a colorful bouquet (don't ask me what kind of flowers they were!).  I hadn't quite decided yet who I'd give them to, but as I was leaving the store, a woman saw me and said, "Oooh. . . . are you in trouble with someone?"  I know she was joking, but still, it was an interesting reaction.  I responded that I was giving them to someone just to be nice.
     With the flowers in my car, I headed to the "other side" of town to look for someone to be my recipient.  I was thinking of going to the shopping center that has a laundromat and a dollar store and choosing someone there.  However, as I was approaching the center, I passed a garden apartment complex and had another idea.
     I took out a piece of paper and wrote, "Please enjoy these flowers as a gift from a stranger.  All I ask is in return is that you do something nice for someone else."  Then I took the note and the bouquet and I placed them on the front step of one of the apartments where they'll be seen by the residents when they return home from work.
     As is always the case with anonymous acts, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear their reaction and to see what, if anything, they do for someone else.  Alas, I'll have to be satisfied with having set the ball in motion and trust in the universe that I've at least starting something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment