Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, August 25, 2012

Helping Out Another Family

     It's been awhile since I've granted a wish through one of my favorite sites, Wishuponahero.com.  As you may recall, this is a site that connects people who need help (wishers) with those who are able to provide that help (heroes).  To date, over 94,000 wishes, large and small, have been granted!
     Tonight I decided to help out a family in Birmingham, Alabama.  This is a single parent family with 4 children whose dryer just broke.  They needed just a little help paying for the repairs.  It certainly didn't impact me much to assist them, and yet, the impact to the family can be significant.  It was my pleasure to make a difference for them.
     Each time I go to the Wish site, I'm struck by the thousands of examples of true generosity.  Nearly always, these are strangers helping other strangers.  The heroes will likely never meet or personally know those to whom they've given help.  Their only reward is the satisfaction of knowing they made a difference.  While the daily news may be filled with stories of doom and gloom, it's my observation and experience that the vast majority of people are actually extraordinarily generous.  It's a shame our view gets so distorted by the few examples of the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment