Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, November 26, 2012

Caring for Each Other

     When tragedies happen to a family, it can be awkward to effectively communicate with all the well-wishers and outside people who care.  I imagine that the family probably gets tired of telling the same details and status updates, and yet they want people to know.  Thankfully, the internet has created some good methods, through websites, to help with this issue.  I was looking at one of these sites this evening as it related to a local family in my hometown.
     A number of months ago, a local HS student was in a serious car accident that left her with very significant injuries.  From time to time I'd see a somewhat cryptic mention in the paper, but today I read about a website, CaringBridge.org, where the family was posting updates and people could write their own messages of support on a "guestbook."  While I don't know the family personally, I feel for their plight and wanted to let them know that even strangers are thinking about them and pulling for them.  I went ahead and signed in and posted a note this evening to the guestbook.
     While it may be hard to pinpoint exactly how it impacts people, I believe that knowing others are thinking of you, and supporting you, can make a difference when dealing with significant challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment