Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Thankless Job -- No More

     With today being election day, I was thinking about our many local elected officials who spend so much time and effort working on our behalf, in most cases for no pay at all (School Board, Town Council, etc.).  It saddens me when I read letters-to-the-editor or online message board comments that speak with such anger and nastiness when criticizing local officials.  Many of them seem to suggest that anyone with a differing point of view must be part of some nefarious conspiracy to ruin our town.  I think it's the complete opposite.
     Call me naive, but I think nearly all our local elected officials serve our town out of a genuine interest in giving back to our community and they put it countless hours trying to make the best decisions they can while dealing with complex issues.  I may not always agree with every decision that's made, but I don't doubt the motive behind the decisions.  Tonight, I decided to write a note of thanks to one of our officials who will be "retiring" after this election.
     In my note, which was handwritten of course, I let this person know how much I personally appreciated his efforts as well as his accomplishments.  It's too often a thankless job, but not any more (at least for 1 night!).

No comments:

Post a Comment