Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, November 2, 2012

A Birthday Surprise

     Today's act of kindness was a few months in the making.  In anticipation of my wife's birthday next week, back in August I arranged with my college children to reserve this weekend for a surprise flight home (Ben from Alabama and Hannah from Virginia).  It took some coordination and a little trickery, but we made it all work.
     While my wife thought I was doing another American Cancer Society ride this afternoon, I went to the airport to pick up Ben and Hannah.  On the way home, I dropped them off at Riverton Country Club where I had previously arranged that my wife and I would be having a quiet Friday evening dinner.  To add to the ruse, Ben and Hannah each texted her today about their weekend plans as if it were a typical college weekend for them.  
      After I got home from the airport (and dropping them off), Catherine and I headed to dinner without a second thought.  When we got to the table, there they were!  We enjoyed a great meal together and look forward to a weekend spent together as well.  I knew there would be nothing she'd appreciate more for her birthday than the chance for the four of us all to be together.  It was that much better as a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment