Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, November 18, 2012

Helping With Bags

     I'm sitting on a plane right now waiting to take off to Fort Lauderdale.  Unfortunaately a door was damaged when the plane was being serviced, and it's taking awhile to figure out how to fix it.  That at least gives me a few minutes to post tonight's story.
     As I was getting on the plane, I was right behind an older couple and their daughter.  As they tried to get their bags into the overhead bin, it was obvious that they would struggle.  Anticipating this, I offered my help and got the bags loaded for them.
     Sometimes kindness involves not just responding to what we see, but also anticipating needs as well.  This requires awareness and intentionality.  We have to be noticing what's going on around us and we have to have the intention of looking to help.  There's no question that this year has tuned up my antenna with regard to these opportunities that I likely wouldn't have even noticed in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment