Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, November 10, 2012

Paying It Forward With a Gift Card

     I was at the airport this afternoon picking up my adopted soldier, Logan (who I finally got to meet in person), when I decided it would be a good day to use one of the the many gift cards I picked up earlier in the year.  As I was waiting for him in the baggage claim area, I noticed an airport employee who was there to help people with their bags.  I walked up to her and asked if she'd like the McDonald's gift card I was holding.  She looked at me a bit quizzically, but when she realized that I wasn't kidding, she smiled and accepted it.  I told her that all I ask in return is that she do something nice for someone else today, to which she replied, "OK."
     I'm finally getting better and better at remembering to include the "pay it forward" part when I do things like this.  I realize that it's not always appropriate, but whenever it is, I surely want to make that suggestion to people.  Earlier in the year, I often found myself so focused on the act, that I forgot the pay it forward opportunity until I thought about it afterward.  I'm learning . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment