Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, November 17, 2012

Making Another Loan

     I'm proud to say that I participated in my 7th international micro-loan this evening.  This time, I helped a farmer in Peru to buy some fertilizer.  He's a 47 year old man who has 6 children.  On his farm he raises cattle and guinea pigs and chickens.  The organization I do this through is called Kiva.  All of my other loans have been paying back right on schedule and one has been fully repaid already.  
     If you've never checked it out, I'd encourage you to take a look at Kiva's site.  It's easy to participate in a loan for as little as $25.  What an amazing way that almost anyone can help to make a difference for hard-working people in impoverished 3rd world nations.  As your money gets paid back, you can either pull it out, or redeploy it back into another loan.  These people are not looking for handouts - just small loans that help them to expand their businesses and to achieve self-sufficiency.  Isn't that what everyone wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment