Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, November 4, 2012

Additional Help

     For those at the NJ shore as well as in Northern NJ, the return to normalcy after the the storm has been slow.  I spoke to my brother in north Jersey today and they are still without power and aren't expecting to have it for another week.  He described gas lines that are literally hours long and most businesses and schools are still closed.  As I sit in my warm and comfortable house, it's hard to appreciate the challenge that so many people are going through and will continue to face.  And so, when I learned of another local effort to help out, I was didn't hesitate to respond quickly.

     I learned through a FB post from a friend, that another friend in town, Lorenzo Eagles, has a brother who is a director of Boys' and Girls' clubs toward the shore.  The clubs were going to be open to feed people, and Lorenzo and his family were planning to go today to help provide meals to relief workers and other families in need.  When I spoke to them, they had already made 175 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and were collecting other food to bring down.  My son Ben and I went shopping and picked up some cases of water, 12-packs of gatorade, juice boxes, bags of apples, and boxes of breakfast bars and delivered them to the Eagles' house to add to their lunch supplies.  Once again, it's great to see how many different people are involved doing what they can to help those who are struggling right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment