Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Thursday, November 8, 2012

Promoting Trust

     While some may think it's naive, I've always preferred to work from the perspective of trust.  In fact, one of the Fundamentals that I taught in my former company was, "Work from the assumption that people are good, fair, and honest."  My experience, as I've documented in many blog posts throughout this past year, is that there's a lot more good in the world than one would think based on what we see in the mainstream media.  Further, I've found that when we operate from trust, and we extend trust, people more often than not tend to demonstrate their trustworthiness.  Not only does this save time, effort, and money, but it also makes for more satisfying relationships.  
     One of my favorite books on this topic is a book by Stephen M. R. Covey (the son of the "original" Stephen Covey of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People fame).  The book is called The Speed of Trust.  In it, Covey explains how trust creates greater speed and leads to more profitability and more success in almost any area.  He also goes on to analyze trust more deeply and examines the key behaviors that contribute to creating more trust.  I was thinking about that book this evening and decided to send it to someone I know who I think would particularly appreciate its content.  When I come across a book like this that I think is really impactful, I enjoy the chance to share it with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment