Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Friday, November 9, 2012

Leveraging My Skills

     Much of the travel that I've done this year (and will be doing next year) has been as a "resource speaker" for the organization known as Vistage.  Vistage is a CEO peer group organization that provides CEO's of mostly entrepreneurial companies with opportunities to learn new material, to solve some of their biggest challenges, and to have a source for accountability. Through Vistage, I've been speaking to groups all over the country, teaching their members how  to build high-performance cultures.  While I'm paid to do these talks, occasionally I'm asked to offer my expertise for free, and I try to oblige when I can.  This morning was one of those times.
     Vistage was putting on a marketing event in collaboration with Smart CEO magazine.  The event was designed to introduce area CEO's to the Vistage model and to give them an experience of a "mini" Vistage meeting.  My role was to give them a taste of what a Vistage speaker/program is like. Based on the reactions, it certainly seemed like a great success.
     It's been fun this year to be able to help people not just through the kinds of stories I've so often written about here, but also through using the knowledge and skills I developed professionally.  When I see people's faces light up as they understand, often for the first time, the pathway to building the kind of team they really want, it's very rewarding.  By impacting the CEO and his/her approach, I ultimately impact a large number of other people in a positive way.  It's funny in a way, that we so often neglect to consider how to leverage our best gifts and talents when thinking about opportunities for service.  Sometimes these opportunities have the greatest impact of all.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment