Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

School Fundraiser

     When our kids were in our local schools, we were always very involved in the school system, especially our Home & School Association (what I knew as the PTA when I was growing up).  In fact, my wife was the H&S chair for each of the 4 different schools that our children attended, and then was the district-wide chair for 2 years as well.  These days, we don't get many opportunities to be involved or to show our continued support.  Today, however, we were able to help out while eating dinner.
     Home & School had arranged one of those restaurant fundraisers where a percentage of all proceeds raised for the day goes back to the organization.  Today happened to be Chick-Fil-A day.  I don't know what the exact percentage was, but the more people who ate there the more money went back to our schools (through H&S).  My wife and I figured we had to eat dinner anyway, at least this way we were supporting the schools as well.  And that's exactly what we did.
     This event got me thinking more about the never-ending passage of time and the continuous cycle of life.  I touched on this topic last week when I wrote about sending someone a baby gift as well as the other day when I talked about the community playground project.  I can remember all those years when our lives revolved around the kids and all their school projects and activities.  While we may be done with that stage, those projects and activities continue to take place every year, with or without us.  There are new children and new parents who are just as wrapped up in this world as we once were.  Their joys, fears, worries, and special moments are exactly like ours were.  And when the current classes of children graduate and move on to whatever is next for them, a new group of students and their parents will replace them.  And on it goes.
     Of course, the mystery of the passage of time has been fascinating (and tormenting) people for thousands of years.  I feel it, and yet I don't quite know how to process it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment