Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, September 29, 2012

One More Letter

     I sent another letter/e-mail to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan this evening.  I try to do this approximately once each week.  I remember when I first signed up for this relationship through Soldiers' Angels.  The organization asks that you commit to writing at least weekly and that you send a care package at least once each month.  To be honest, it sounded kind of daunting to me, but I agreed nevertheless, realizing just how important this is to our troops overseas.  What's been surprising to me is how easy it's actually become.  I think this is mostly because my soldier and I have developed such a great relationship over these many months.  Writing to him is not a chore.  It's a pleasure that I look forward to.
     My soldier will be leaving Afghanistan in just about 2 more weeks.  I can only imagine how excited he is to be coming home.  While my "offficial" commitment will be coming to a close, I have no doubt that we'll continue to keep in touch.  I've mentioned before that I've invited him to visit me for an Eagles' game, which we'll be doing in early November.  I'll be sure to post a story about that as well as some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment