Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pretzels Say "Thanks"

     From time to time it's nice to show some unsolicited appreciation for those who serve our community.  It's been awhile since I've done that, so I figured it might be just the right act for today.  
     As I was doing a few errands, I swung by the Philadelphia Hot Pretzel store on Main Street in Moorestown this afternoon and picked up 20 pretzels - fresh out of the oven.  They smelled so good in my car that it was hard for me not to sneak at least one of them (I didn't!) for myself.  Instead, I drove them over to the Moorestown police station and brought them inside.  A woman sitting behind a glass window asked if she could help me, and when I explained what I had brought for the officers, she came out to get the pretzels.  She thanked me for my kindness and I was off with little fanfare.  I never told them my name and I didn't leave a card or note of any sort.  This was just a simple, quiet, "thank you."  No attention.  No fuss.
     Surprising people with small tokens of appreciation has become one of my more favorite acts this year.  It doesn't cost much (sometimes it doesn't cost anything), but the impact is big.  Just think of how you'd feel to be the recipient of an unexpected gift or note of thanks.  Yeah, that's why it's worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment