Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Pleasant Flight

     I was on a flight to Cleveland this afternoon, and as I've mentioned in previous posts, it's not my natural inclination to make conversation with the person I'm sitting next to.  To be honest, that's actually kind of strange when you think about it.  Here we are, humans thrust together in pretty close contact - whether that's an elevator, airplane, bus, or other similar situation - and most people withdraw into themselves and act like the other person doesn't exist.  Pretty weird, and I do it as frequently as everyone else.
     Anyway, I was in the window seat and a woman began to sit next to me.  Before she sat down though, she asked if I would mind switching seats with her as she didn't like the aisle for some reason.  Of course, I said I'd be happy to oblige as it made no difference to me and seemed to be important to her.  As the flight got under way, I asked her about where she was going and we ended up having a delightful conversation the entire trip.  I learned all about her family, her work (she's actually a pastor), her upbringing, etc.  We've exchanged e-mail addresses and I've already promised to send her a copy of my book when I return home.  Opening myself up to a more "human" experience certainly made the trip so much more enjoyable.
     Incidentally, on a topic that I've mentioned repeatedly in recent posts, I once again saw so many nice people today.  Most were courteous and polite, and were easy to engage with a smile.  Sure there were others who appeared to be more self-centered, but they were definitely the minority.  I wonder if the fact that is was so sunny and beautiful out had any impact on this?  I'll have to see if I notice any difference on a nasty day . . . 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment