Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, September 2, 2012

Remembering Dates

     This morning I sent a note to a very old friend wishing him a happy birthday.  With Facebook making it easier to know and acknowledge people's birthdays, this may not seem like a big deal.  What made this different though, is that I'm fairly certain this person had no idea that I knew it was his birthday. I love surprising people like that.
     In a previous post, I wrote about the important habit of listening for (and recording) personal details that people share in conversation - birthdays, kids' names, colleges attended, special interests or hobbies, etc.  I get so weary of the surface level conversations and small talk that so often dominates our exchanges.  Paying attention to these types of details allows me connect with  people on a more meaningful and personal level.  And sometimes to surprise them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment