Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Monday, September 17, 2012

Keeping In Touch

     Most people, it seems, lead fairly busy lives with lots of activities crammed into the 24 hours with which we all have to work. With all that we have on our plates, it's not always easy to stay in touch with people who we care about or who we enjoy being with.  Today, I reached out to two such people.  One I called to catch up, and the other I reached out to schedule a lunch.
     While paradoxically I'm not always great with this when it comes to my family, I'm pretty good about it when it comes to friends.  I'm usually the one making the effort to connect with friends both locally and all over the country.  Through all my contacts over the years, I seem to know someone in nearly every major city, it seems.  And just about every time I travel (which has been a lot this year), I find someone I know to have dinner with or to stay with.  Sometimes it's an old HS or college friend, sometimes a business associate, and sometimes even a person I met on a trip or vacation.  I find that I enjoy the process of connecting and reconnecting with people, and they always seem glad that I called to arrange it.
     Like with most things, we all have excuses for why we haven't stayed in touch with people we care about.  And like most things as well, they really are just that - excuses.  We all seem to find the time for the things that are most important to us.  I find that building (and sometimes, resuming) relationships with a myriad of friends adds an enriching element to my life.  And while it might be nice if I didn't usually have to be the one to initiate the effort, I accept that as the price for creating the kind of life I want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment