Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Road to Recovery

     I've written before about the American Cancer Society's Road to Recovery program.  This is the program through which volunteers drive cancer patients to their doctor or hospital appointments.  Many times, these patients literally have no other way of getting to their necessary treatment.  Occasionally, I'll get a call from the Society's volunteer coordinator asking if I can fulfill a specific ride request.  This evening, she sent an e-mail to all the local drivers with a listing of 31 requests coming up in the next 5 weeks or so, asking for help.  While I have a lot of travel coming up, I was still able to find room in my schedule to volunteer for 5 assignments.
     Among the many things I've done this year, this activity ranks pretty high on my list of favorites.  I suppose it's because it's so real and tangible.  By that I mean that I can very directly see the impact of my action.  I've met lots of interesting people and they're so appreciative.  When you stop and think about it, it's a great example of the genuine kindness of people.  Total strangers are taking a good chunk of their time to help others in need.  These aren't friends, relatives, or loved ones.  They're strangers.  I think that's what makes the program so compelling.  
     I'm looking forward to discovering who I get to meet over the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment