Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Book for a Friend

     This morning, I had breakfast with a friend I hadn't seen in more than a year.  He's a person I admire and respect a great deal, and we see each other far too infrequently.  As is usually the case with him, we had some great conversation.  At one point in the exchange, I mentioned a book that I thought had some real insight pertinent to his situation.  He asked me if I would e-mail him with the name of the book so he could check it out.
     As soon as I got home, I took care of it, but better than that, I went to Amazon and ordered the book sent to his house as a gift.  So often I find that we never quite get around to buying (or borrowing) that book we heard about and intended to read, as we get busy and distracted with life's daily tasks.  However, when it shows up on our doorstep, we're much more likely to pick it up and dive in.  Recognizing this, I particularly enjoy sending books to people that I know they will benefit from.  Today was one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment