Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Sunday, September 30, 2012

Helping with the Chaos

     Before leaving Williamsburg for home today, I had to make one more stop at a sort of mecca for me - The Cheese Shop.  For those unfamiliar, The Cheese Shop is a Williamsburg institution, primarily known for their fabulous sandwiches.  Whenever I return to town, I always have to go for a Cheese Shop sandwich.  To be candid, it was actually my 2nd time there in the three days I've been here!
     As popular as it is, The Cheese Shop is a pretty chaotic experience.  Even though they've expanded into a larger store since the days I was a student at W&M, they still can't keep up with the demand.  The system is that you go in one line to order you sandwich, and then wait till your name is called to pick up your order and pay for it.  The problem is that as fast as they make the sandwiches, there simply isn't room for all those people to stand as they wait - so it basically looks like a mob scene.  
     Today, as I was waiting for my sandwich, I noticed a tourist (I could tell from his nametag/pass) looking rather confused.  Knowing that it can be overwhelming if you don't know the system, I approached him and explained to him what to do.  He appreciated the guidance and hopefully got to experience one of my favorite parts of Williamsburg.
     This is another one of those simple acts of just noticing someone needing help and reaching out rather than waiting to be approached.  Not a big deal, but I suppose evidence that looking for these opportunities is beginning to become more of a habit.  And that was certainly one of my goals when I began this process 278 days ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment